Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Table of Contents
Latest topics
» Happy new year Ingoo
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am by Kye

» -
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 pm by Kye

» "Ninja-Tales [AU Next Gen Naruto RP]"
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 3:16 am by White Fox

» 광주휴게텔Op*ss*2점넷 광주안마후기🇱🇰광주오피ガ오피쓰 광주건마
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 6:50 am by MaxGarrison56515

» 제주건마μ오피쓰후기[OPSS][2][NET]⚓제주풀싸롱♐제주오피ゃ제주안마
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 6:49 am by MaxGarrison56515

» Sigh
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Jun 09, 2018 7:24 pm by Kye

» Gladius Naruto RP Site
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyWed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am by Rush

» An actual, legitimate post.
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 11:27 am by kbackperc

» Tiffany & Co Classic COIN EDGE DISC Pendant - $58.00 : Professional tiffany outlet stores, web-intera.com
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 12:23 am by kbackperc

» Replica Watches, Fake Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, Cartier, Omega Watches for Sale
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 11:55 am by kbackperc

» Bring Me Out
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 5:19 am by Raishimaru

» Links of London Charm - Letter W charm - $28.80 : links of london, jewelryhand.com
The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm by Heartbeat

Naruto © Masashi Kishimoto

Any creations, posts, ideas, or otherwise content from this website are copyrighted to their owners and creators. No information may not be taken or used without said owners permission, with the exception of situations listed in the terms of service and rules which are subject to change without warning. © All Rights Reserved.

The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GenShinigami
Administrator
Administrator
GenShinigami

The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) Empty
PostSubject: The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)   The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 am

So, I was looking at the site and a sudden thought struck me. We aren't really requiring handseals anymore. Yes, I know, there are plenty of jutsu that say they use them. But at this point we aren't really enforcing them strongly enough that it becomes a tactical decision of "I can use this jutsu, and maybe improve my chances to win or I can use this jutsu which has more handseals and therefore has better chance to be interrupted, and definitely win... If he doesn't stop me."

So I've asked our brilliant Koto to go ahead and write up a rework for handseals. As a note for all staff, everyone is welcome to bring in their input on this. Largely I'd like to have some sort of formula of "This many hand seals means it costs this much less chakra" or something to a similar effect. The time it takes to weave handseals is offset by the difference in chakra cost. It's simple. Fast(casting time), strong(jutsu effect), or cheap(Chakra cost) and you can pick two.

There should be a speed chart for how long a seal takes, how much faster each rank can make the seals, what kind of a difference the ability to do seals one handed makes, and that sort of thing. Yes, this adds another layer into combat unfortunately. I'm a big fan of the KISS system (Keep It Simple Stupid) myself. However this is an integral part of how Naruto jutsu works, and a lot of the Almanac jutsu state they require seals as well, putting them at a weaker level than most of the newest jutsu I've been seeing.

As another update that will be open to staff discussion, I'm planning on (Not right now, but in the near future, likely at the same time the handseals are reinvigorated) adding in two lines to the jutsu template. One for "Seals" which says how many seals a jutsu requires. The other for "Cost" and this will state the exact cost the jutsu requires. I'd like to begin eschewing the "Costs C rank in chakra" type descriptions for anything other than upkeep and simply require that the jutsu list the percentage of chakra it'd take each rank to use it.

This helps to incorporate the new power of using more seals to conserve chakra. It requires a little more work for the users of course but it gives much greater rewards for the versatility of a jutsu. The current "C Rank in chakra cost" list is a wonderful guideline and a powerful tool to help lead this change, should the staff decide to let it occur.

Here's an example jutsu:
Name: Magen • Narakumi no Jutsu - Demonic Illusion • Hell Viewing Technique
Type: Genjutsu
Cost: C [6%] B [3%] A [2%] S [1%]
Seals: 1
Duration: Until Kai is used, or the person realizes they’re under the Genjutsu.
Description: Magen • Narakumi no Jutsu is a Genjutsu technique that causes its target to see a horrifying vision. The ninja will use the serpent hand seal to cause a circle of leaves to spin and envelop the target and then fall away. Once cast the world will appear normal to the target until they see the illusion.

This jutsu was easy to translate because it already state how many seals it used, and I could easily take the current costs and put them down. However, what if I decided that I wanted something a little different? It'd look like this.

Cost: C [3%] B [2%] A [1%] S [1%]
Seals: 3
Description: Magen • Narakumi no Jutsu is a Genjutsu technique that causes its target to see a horrifying vision. The ninja will use the proper hand seals to cause a circle of leaves to spin and envelop the target and then fall away. Once cast the world will appear normal to the target until they see the illusion.

(Or for no seals!)

Cost: C [7%] B [4%] A [3%] S [1%]
Seals: 1
Description: Magen • Narakumi no Jutsu is a Genjutsu technique that causes its target to see a horrifying vision. The ninja will cause a circle of leaves to spin and envelop the target and then fall away. Once cast the world will appear normal to the target until they see the illusion.

These are two examples. However, for this, we do need an exact number on how much more chakra a person gains a level, so we can help people properly scale the cost across ranks. But, those are the biggest changes.

Please remember, I'm not saying these changes have to occur. I'd love for staff input and review of them first. But unless some sort of major problem is presented about them, I'd like these ideas to go through because they help balance some areas I've noted were becoming a bit... Unfair.

Thanks for your time. Leave your thoughts, of course.
Back to top Go down
Jitsurei Zukai
Veteran
Veteran
Jitsurei Zukai

PostSubject: Re: The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)   The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 6:46 am

No, no, and no.

Our current system for hand seals is fine. It doesn't need to be expanded upon, and some of the ideas you have here will, quite frankly, break the site's balance. No hand seals to lower chakra cost, no hand seals to do anything special to a technique. Some techniques can't apply these concepts in the first place. There are so many techniques which don't even have sufficient hand seals to follow these rules that it's entirely irrelevant. You can find examples by strolling around the Naruto wiki. It's going to be a huge hassle for everyone, so no thank you.

Our current system for chakra is fine. It is keeping the site as balanced as we can make it and doesn't need to be changed in any way. It's been working for years. I am completely against changing it now. Also, personally, it seems like you're suggesting we have specific amounts of points for chakra, since you mention telling people how much they actually get. The percents simply scale differently per rank of technique for what that person can actually use. If it gets any more specific, that can open up possible abuse. We can handle and prevent any abuse that might happen now. The system is specific enough as it is.

I appreciate your thoughts for the staff, but I don't support this at all. No offense to you, of course. I do not like the ideas.
Back to top Go down
GenShinigami
Administrator
Administrator
GenShinigami

PostSubject: Re: The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)   The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Keibetsu wrote:
No, no, and no.

Our current system for hand seals is fine. It doesn't need to be expanded upon, and some of the ideas you have here will, quite frankly, break the site's balance. No hand seals to lower chakra cost, no hand seals to do anything special to a technique. Some techniques can't apply these concepts in the first place. There are so many techniques which don't even have sufficient hand seals to follow these rules that it's entirely irrelevant. You can find examples by strolling around the Naruto wiki. It's going to be a huge hassle for everyone, so no thank you.

Our current system for chakra is fine. It is keeping the site as balanced as we can make it and doesn't need to be changed in any way. It's been working for years. I am completely against changing it now. Also, personally, it seems like you're suggesting we have specific amounts of points for chakra, since you mention telling people how much they actually get. The percents simply scale differently per rank of technique for what that person can actually use. If it gets any more specific, that can open up possible abuse. We can handle and prevent any abuse that might happen now. The system is specific enough as it is.

I appreciate your thoughts for the staff, but I don't support this at all. No offense to you, of course. I do not like the ideas.

The biggest problem I have with how things have moved though is that handseals are a huge part in the NarutoVerse. They are how you channel your chakra. Basically, they're focusing lenses. The more you have, the less light (chakra) you actually need to be able to see. Plus they're a good mechanic to open new dynamics. No one bothers putting handseals in anymore, and so you can't use the fact that the other person is doing seals as an opening. Plus it means that SC that allow one handed seals are actually viable too.

As for chakra... The current system works as it is, yes. But really I'm not a fan of boxing it up. If we keep the current costs as "Base costs" then people don't have to think. They can still just put in the cost without changes. But I've noticed that even 1% of your chakra can make a big difference. So tying it to the revival of seals is a good way to allow for these kinds of tactical and even strategic decisions.

That's my take on it.
Basically, I'm not making it more complicated. We'll have the cookie cutter "Your jutsu is this rank. It needs this many seals and this much chakra" for those who don't want to customize. But it also opens the opportunities for so much more. Like having three different jutsu that do the same thing, but need different numbers of signs and chakra. I mean, Kakashi said that the Chidori needs a bunch of handsigns, and that's why Naruto liked Rasengan over Chidori. But now you see half the people using it without a hand sign. These are the aesthetic and combat differences that, to me, are really fun to see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)   The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input) Empty

Back to top Go down

The revival of handsigns (And other stuff, for staff input)
Page 1 of 1